Preventing the Winter Woes: Protecting Home Pipes From Freezing And Bursting
Sugar Land, TX – Winter will be here before we know it, so while we still have some warm days it is time to be proactive and protect your plumbing from the harsh, cold winter weather. At one time or another, almost everyone has had the unpleasant experience of a pipe freezing and bursting. A frozen pipe can run into a major expense if it results in flooding your house or causing property damage.
Sugar Land plumbers at Howell Services offer several tips for how you can protect your home from experiencing the damage that colder weather can cause to your home and plumbing. As Houston area plumbers, we have several tips to help you avoid plumbing emergencies this winter.
- Even if you plan to leave your home for an extended time period during the colder weather, you should make sure your thermostat is set on 68 degrees or higher. This will keep your home at a comfortable temperature to prevent damage to your plumbing system.
- The doors of the cabinets underneath your sinks should be opened so air can circulate and prevent freezing.
- Disconnect gardening hoses and turn off water to outside faucets. Covers should also be installed on outside faucets.
- Use heating tape or pipe insulation to wrap all pipes near the exterior walls or in the crawl space of your home.
- Close open air vents and close windows located near water pipes.
Weather seal your windows.
- Turn heat on in your basement and if you have a well house, consider placing a heater in there.
- If you will be away from home for an extended timeframe during the winter, shut off the water supply valves that lead to your washing machine.
- Ensure your home and its outside walls are properly insulated.
When it comes to hiring a Sugar Land, TX, plumber to help you with your winterization needs, you can count on the team at Howell Services. Call 281-232-5292 for the experienced team of Sugar Land plumbing professionals.